Monday 11 August 2008

iPhone 2.0.1 firmware

iPhone firmware 2.0.1. was finally cracked so what does it mean for me?

Finally, the network selection is finally working as usual. So you can always select the mobile network without any problems. Other people reported better performance when typing etc, but I didn't have any problems in the first place, nor did I notice some improvements after 2.0.1.

In any case, my procedure for the 2.0.1 upgrade was this:

1. Upgrade to 2.0.1 in itunes. (after this step everything worked as some people reported, the phone remained unlocked and activated, contrary to my first experience with 2.0.1 upgrade when the firmware was released. I would just have stopped at this step [as I don't need a jailbroken phone], but then I noticed that the english auto correct dictionary was restored, so I needed to jailbreak the phone to be able to connect to with a program called disk aid which enables me to delete/rename the english dictionary).

2. Use pwnage tool to build custom 2.0.1. firmware. As usual, I only selected the necessary bits (jailbreak, unlock, activate)

3. Restore with the new custom built firmware.

And that was it. 2.0.1. I'm waiting now for 2.1.0 or something;)

No comments: